M + D = LOVE FOREVER

M + D = LOVE FOREVER

Wednesday 7 January 2009

INMATE NO. 18 - 04 - 1978

The Halley Comet was crossing the sky but I didn't notice it, being too absorbed by the dogshit I had just gotten on my shoe.  All I had was the excuse of my blindness. But I ain't blind, other than metaphorically which doesn't really count since my life is far from being a poem. 

"Cut the shit!" the Officer barked at me and slapped me hard, so hard I could hear my own brains ringing a ding-dong like a cash machine. "Im sick of you assholes, getting caught with blood on your hands and putting the blame on some metaphysical entities. "

"You've got blood on your hands... " wasn't that a tune she used to hum?

"Where were you last night? You'd better have an alibi, dick, or you'll rot in jail. You'll only get a break when other inmates visit you for romantic purposes. Then you can practice your poetry."

He had a laugh like a machine gun.

"What do you mean? I was home last night. Thinking about my future."
"Can you prove it?" he yelled.
 I could smell his breath. It smelled like fear. My fear.

"How? It's not tangible or anything."
He wrote down something.
I panicked.
"What are you writing there?"

"Oh, nothing. My wife asked me to buy some groceries and I forgot the broccolis. "
He must have seen my puzzlement.
"Life goes on, boyo. You go down. I go to the grocery store."
And he strides to the door.

"Wait a fuckin minute! Am I supposed to get imprisoned without knowing the charges?"
He turned.
"Murder. Is it good enough for you, genius?"
"Murder? Whom... What... did I kill?"
"A smile. The mood. The future. You'll get 20 to life."

I scoffed. 
"What the fuck is this? The soap opera police? "

He winked and left.

I fell asleep and when I woke up all I could see was the darkness of my cell. And only then, as I was staring at the obscured ceiling  I noticed the Halley Comet crossing the sky. 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe your naked eye will see it next time

if you'll be ready, you'll recognize it instantly

if you'll be patient for 75-76 years

Irina Nedelcu said...

you were laying in bed, it was crossing the skyed ceilling, there's your line-line intersection.. others were sleeping it through. at least you caught glimpse of it. guess the comet knows and appreciates it.

Anonymous said...

la multi ani
si toate cele faine
stii tu
ai de grija si multa multa bafta

"keep heading towards the sun and the shadows will fall behind you"


I'M A SICK, SICK PUPPY.